Friday, December 9, 2011

You forgot the first rule of remakes Jill: "Don't fuck with the originals".

Since I watched Scream 4 last night... Let's talk remakes...
Scream 4 is probably my favorite remake. But then again, it is more of a reboot than a remake. It is still directed by the fantastic Wes Craven and written by the same *suddenly forgetting the guy's name* and they created the first three films. Much like A Nightmare on Elm Street series, Wes Craven just creates great films. The best remake is A Nightmare on Elm Street (2011). It is proof that the creators actually paid attention to the originals while giving it a bit of a newer spin. The bad guy (Freddy Kruger of course) has a little bit more of a backstory--which is fine since it is not as developed as Rob Zombie's version of Michael Myers' back story in the remakes of Halloween. The remake of A Nightmare on Elm Street actually had the correct lighting, songs and scenes that made it my top running.
Scream is my favorite movie series for the simple fact that it breaks that movie faux pas and discusses movies. Jamie Kennedy's character started it all in the first Scream when he broke down the rules of a horror movie. You know, those rules we all live by. Don't say "I'll be right back" because you're not coming back. Don't have sex, do drugs or drink. The virgin's always live and yada yada. Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon also breaks down horror movie scenes perfectly and is not a remake but an amazingly done film. Top of my list. See it. By Scream 2, Randy is able to tell the audience about the rules pertaining to a sequel. And of course, in Scream 3, his legacy is complete as he discusses trilogies. By Scream 4, Randy is replaced by an AV Film Club who discuss the reboot ideas and how it all changes but stays the same.

One remake that I have a fathom of a hope that it will not burn to the ground is Drop Dead Fred. If you haven't heard from me that they're remaking it, you apparently don't know me. I've been talking about that remake for at least a few years. Fans are still in outrage but I think Russell Brand is probably one of the best actors to play Fred. I just hope they keep the childhood innocence to it. Because, after all, we all fell for it as children and it is genius. It is a big impact on my creativity and I wished I had had a Drop Dead Fred in my life growing up. Russell Brand did not destroy Arthur. He kept the innocence of it but nothing can really compare to Duddley Moore's character and bumbling alcoholic charm.
I am holding my breath for Back to the Future not to be remade. I don't care. They broke my heart when they took the ride out of Universal Studios. I don't think they could crush me much more.

My Bloody Valentine--I saw the 3D remake somewhere between 3.5 or 4.5 times in the theater. I loved it! It could have been Jensen Ackles or the 3D aspect (which to everyone's surprise was something I kept my glasses on for! I never like 3D or 4D events and almost never keep my glasses on. Yeah, I did it for Valentine). The original is just as good. It has more gore to it and a slightly different storyline. Both movies are good on their own and I don't really relate them as a pair.
Halloween--I've seen about 3 or 4 of the original series. Hated the Rob Zombie remakes. Just did not like the over-developed character of Michael Myers or the storyline's rape concepts.
The Hills Have Eyes--the two newer remakes freak me the fuck out. Haven't been able to watch the original. Same goes for Last House on the Left. Although it's Wes Craven's creation, I have been told I will not be able to stomach it. Rape scenes bother me. But I will always recommend Storm Warning and I Spit On Your Grave as great FUCK YOU RAPIST films. I think the women in those two films should share a few beers with the parents from Last House on the Left. Swap stories.
Prom Night--the only thing those two have in common are the fact that they take place at Prom. The original is good. The remake seemed a bit forced.
Black Christmas--didn't see the remake yet. Loved the original. Still get chills thinking about one scene.
Death at a Funeral--not horror genere but the original (made only 2 years before the remake!!!) is so much better! Sure, it's UK humor but it is by far the better of the two! It has a lot more depth and proof that the US can't come up with their own original films considering it's almost word-for-word the exact same movie.
The Birdcage--haven't seen La Cage Aux Follies yet. I've had it for years and never watched it. Love the Birdcage, probably love the French version.
Assault on Precinct 13--just couldn't get into the original.
The Hitcher--the original is better.
Freaky Friday--both
Parent Trap--both. But grew up on the Lindsay Lohan version
Love Don't Cost A Thing (remake)/ Can't Buy Me Love (original)-- pissed me off royally when they tried to remake this classic 80's film. Love the original.

Overall, I think it just comes down to how well the remakes pay attention to the originals or how much they make the movie their own. As much as I hated Rob Zombie's remake of Halloween, he made it his own. A Nightmare on Elm Street paid homage to the original. It just comes down to how the creators want to portray these films.

No comments:

Post a Comment