Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Iron Man, Captain America & Thor! Oh My!

I am very excited for the Avengers movie when it comes out. Not only do I love Joss Whedon who is directing, I love Iron Man, comic book movies and the like.
Unlike my roommate, I loved the Iron Man series so far starring Robert Downey Jr and directed by Jon Favreau. My father was into the comic books and my roommate is now into them. I can relate to that culture quite well and every year plan my Comicon trip although the days fail me. My first favorite comic book film was Mystery Men. I also love Tank Girl very much.
But, Marvel is the mainstream right now. X-Men, Iron Man, Thor, Captain America, Hulk...they're all working towards something even bigger: The Avengers. It's a big topic right now.


Iron Man & Iron Man 2: This movie gets 9/10 for me. I loved them. I'm not big into the military kidnapping scenes but it definitely shows a back story. I love the actors in the first installment. Robert Downey Jr. is Iron Man through and through. I love Terrance Howard as an actor (and not to mention, he has gorgeous eyes) and I think he plays his character well. Pepper Potts, not only do I love her name but her character is so perfect and Gweneth Paltrow does a good job portraying her. Not to mention, I love hearing Paul Bettany's voice as Garvis. I want a Garvis. These are my favorite mainstream comic book movies. It has it's sentimental moments but overall, it is a well rounded everyone film.


Captain America: I was not sure where this movie was going. I didn't know Captain America was originally fighting Nazi's. I didn't know he was genetically altered by the one and only Tony Stark's father. I love how Chris Evans portrays the character of an all-around good guy who wants to help others. The fact that he repeatedly tries to enlist in the military is a true sign of character. Not to mention, when he throws himself over the grenade dud, your heart melts at his character. I give props to the editing team for making Chris Evans looks so meek and tiny in the beginning of the film. Once you get past the cheesy (since you know it's fake because you know how he looks in real life), you enjoy it. It has a lot of heart. And while I didn't really gobble down the scientific battle, I would give the film a solid 7/10. It's one I feel I might benefit by re-watching.

Thor: 6/10. It's not one I'd watch over and over but I don't regret it. I think it does well to add to the Avengers by giving Thor his own voice. My roommate loved this one and thought it stuck close with the comics. I probably should give this one another watch when I don't have my roommate talking constantly. But, it was good.

The Hulk starring Tim Roth, Liv Tyler and Edward Norton isn't so bad. I've seen it two or three times and I think it works well enough. It is a shame that Edward Norton will not be playing the Hulk in avengers. I hope Mark Ruffalo is up for the challenge.

Probably one of my long-running things about these films is picking out the subtle clues. Like, seeing Stan "The Man" Lee in every single one of the films is fun. He is an all-around interesting character who has quite a legacy. I love how bits and pieces of characters and stories are within each film. For instance, Stark Industries is repetitive and Captain America's shield was thrown in Iron Man 2. I am so excited for the end of the credits when I can see Tony Stark in the bar, they found Thor and the extension trailer. I am very excited.

No comments:

Post a Comment