Sunday, July 29, 2012

Rob Zombie films

I won't touch on this much. I have watched Rob Zombie movies and I am yet to be a fan.
Tonight, we watched House of 1000 Corpses which was not an easy feat to find available for rent. Personally, I liked Devil's Rejects better even thought it is more on a twisted level. There is something to be said about Rob Zombie's vision. While it is not my taste, he does stand by his convictions. He has a vision and he goes with it. As an artist, you have to respect it. He does not half-ass his art. But while it was not similar to his House of 1000 Corpses or Devil's Rejects (my favorite of the RZ films I've seen), the Halloween films were more mainstream and more his style.
Saying that, I'm sorry but I hate his Halloween films. I have watched both and as a fan of the originals, I was not convinced of his reimaginings. But, that's my own opinion. I believe that it gave too much depth to the Michael Myers characters while focusing on his home life and relationship with his mother a bit too much for my taste.
I know a filmmaker friend of mine who loves it and is inspired by Rob Zombie's artistic style. More power to her. There is a niche for it. Unfortunately, I am not in that creative group. I'll stick with my John Landis, Quentin Tarantino, Wes Craven, Kevin Smith and Robert Rodriguez directors and movies about psychology, music, love, laughter and the like. But all art is different.

House of 1000 Corpses: Rob Zombie's artistic vision; not mine. The story was not overly compelling, thrilling or surprising. I was expecting more...thrills, jumps, fears, gore, excitement...something. I was not impressed. It is about a car of kids (including one Raiin Wilson) who get caught in the rain with a flat tire (thanks to it being shot) and are forced to ask for assistance from a bizarre family. Of course, they piss off the family which only makes the family torture them more. Add in some bizarre and random scenes and editing techniques, a little Halloween cult ritual, masks, murders, cops and people in the mines below the ground and you've got yourself a movie. Rating: 2.5/10 some people might like it but I did not find it appealing. However, I did stay through the whole film. Would I see it again? Doubtful but possible that someday I may try again.

Devil's Rejects: took a while after I saw the movie to accept it. It was unnerving. You don't want to sympathize with these characters but you find yourself forced to follow their storyline. The film was different. It follows the morning after and focuses on some of the family members as they run from the crazy cops who are going after them with a vengence. I saw this movie months (maybe more than a year) before House, so I can't recall all of the details but a few memorable scenes. It has its moments. Rating: 4/10. It was better in my mind but it was not an easy watch either. There were more emotions for the victims in this film. Would I see it again? More likely than it's predecessor. It has more.

Halloween I: did not enjoy how Rob Zombie reimagined the story. 1/10 but I like the original. Would I see it again? No.

Halloween II: still did not enjoy how he crafted this sequel. 1/10 Nope, once was enough.

So, it might be for you. But after watching four of his films all of the way through, I would give Rob Zombie credit for his craft but admit that it just is not my style.

No comments:

Post a Comment