Monday, October 31, 2011

What Movies Spook You? What's Your Favorite Scary Movie?

So, this entry is not one of a specific movie but a handful. What movies spook you? When it comes to October, I found myself really geared towards the Disney Channel or ABCFamily when I lived alone. Their stuff, while spooky, is not really scary. I have to avoid FX channel because they play The Strangers and Syfy and Chiller usually have the good, the bad and the B-movies in terms of horror and gore.
This year, I spent most of my spooks in front of the TV while watching the FX show American Horror Story and picking up a few films along the way like When A Stranger Calls and Teeth (which, Teeth isn't scary but a definitely cult classic). So, what movies really get me scared?

First and foremost, The Strangers. It is a great film that plays on your panic and helplessness if you live in a house in the middle of nowhere all alone. I only saw it the one time, mind you. And it was in the theater, but it scared the poo out of me! I don't think I've ever been that scared in a theater. Maybe that tells you something about me. Maybe it just means I'm a wimp. Either way, that movie is one I saw once, tell people about and refuse to watch it again. Maybe in another five years.
The Shinning with Jack Nicholson is by far my favorite scary movie. I love it! I will watch it over and over again but it scares me. I love the suspense. And I will never forget the first time I got chills during the Red Rum part near th end. As an author, it plays into my personal life as well. I mean, how great would it be to be in a hotel in the middle of nowhere with all of this writing time available to you?! But I, too, would get bored very easily and irritable and eek.
But, I also very much love the Scream (former) trilogy. Much like my love for A Nightmare on Elm Street, Wes Craven is the master of horror that I love to watch. Not overly gorey, Scream is a great mix of suspense, jumps and pop culture. And Scream 4 was a great way to continue the franchise. I was hesitant (and slightly miffed that Jamie Kennedy did not reprise his role somehow since it was cleaverly done in the past three) about this film but the line "don't fuck with the original" is probably the best fuck-you to remakes. And the remake of A Nightmare on Elm Street needs to be addressed. I was highly nervous about that one. Friday the 13th remake was not so great and the Halloween remake was a total rape and destruction nightmare! But, I can safely say that the people who make A Nightmare on Elmstreet remake actually paid attention to the originals! It was just a shame that Robert Englund was not Freddy since he will always be Freddy Kruger to me...or the old guy from the Paper Bergade or Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon.
Oh! Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon is not overly scary but perfectly cult classic horror! I should blog that one! Okay, so it is an independent film that most of the movie is styled documentary-style. It follows this girl, Taylor, who decides she wants to interview an up-and-coming killer. He idolizes Michael Myers, Freddy Kruger and Jason Vorheez and uses them as models for his craft. One of the best pieces of dialogue is about how Leslie must increase his cardio in order for it to look like he is simply walking when everyone else is running. It spoofs the slasher genre (namely the three villans above) and he explains why certain events happen. He describes the Survivor Girl, the symboloism behind it, the plot lines, the Red Herrings and everything! It is fun to see another side to the slasher film. But, it all goes lopsided when the night of the big party/murder is to take place. How can you sit back and let people die when you know the secrets? It turns into a film at that point. It is great! It is a movie I reccommend to everyone.
What other movies scare me? Magic is a great one for those of you who are scared of dummy dolls and personality disorders. The Exorcist which was reccommended again to me but I have yet to really watch. I Spit On Your Grave is similar to Last House on the Left but with a much better revenge. Storm Warning is (I think) an Australian film but intense! Also, any Stephen King film really gets your heart pumping but IT seems to be a favorite scare. I love it for Tim Curry. I can't be scared of Tim Curry. But for kid-friendly films, always Casper is a classic from my childhood, Don't Look Under the Bed is a Disney TV movie that is hard to find but perfect, everyone loves Hocus Pocus, and any of the Adams Family films are sure to give a good dose of Halloween. Also, a lot of people watch Rocky Horror Picture Show on Halloween, of course. I love it almost any Saturday.

So, don't be too scared on Halloween. Watch some flicks in the dark!
Rosemary's Baby, Halloween series, A Nightmare on Elm Street series, My Bloody Valentine, My Bloody Valentine 3D (both are great in their own ways), Prom Night (original), Magic, Scream, Saw series, House of Wax, The Hills Have Eyes, I Spit On Your Grave, Last House on the Left, Storm Warning, Human Centepede, IT, Hocus Pocus, Rocky Horror Picture Show, Thirteen Ghosts, House on Haunted Hill, Adams Family...
There is a really long list...Netflix has a lot of gorey and B-movies.

What's your favorite scary movie?

No comments:

Post a Comment