Tuesday, October 4, 2011

TV Rots Your Brain, Like Crack Cocain


                Okay. I’m supposed to rate movies…but unfortunately I’ve not watched anything new or anything note-worthy. I’ve just been trying desperately to clear out my DVR. Sure, there are some movies on there but I’m only about half an hour in to Delirious (<3 Steve Buscemi) and I haven’t even started Date Night.
                So, with the influx of new TV shows and seasons, I could give you my rundown…


Monday
Two & a Half Men : Didn’t watch it much in its earlier years. I’ve seen all of the new episodes this season and I’m not disappointed. Jon Cryer is still not the Duckie I loved. Ashton Kurtcher is adorably hapless which is a new spin on the show. But realistically, how long can he pine over his ex wife? Will he move on? I’d like to know where it’s going but much like the previous seasons, I’m not a target audience and most likely will stop recording it on my DVR.
Castle: LOVE Nathan Fillion and will watch these new episodes soon. This show has been an off-and-on show for me. I catch it when it’s on. But I will always love Nathan Fillion on and off screen.
Dancing with the Stars: caught bits and pieces of it over this new season. Where are the stars??? I’m cheering on Carson Kressley because I love him to death ever since Queer Eye for the Straight Guy and How To Look Good Naked.
The Sing-Off: Loved the first season. Barely watch it. Not on DVR.
Mike & Molly: Where is this show going to go from here? They dated in the first season. The second season they’re engaged. How long are they going to run the engagement? I think that this show is worth a DVR recording since it is a new perspective that we do not see on TV. Yes, I’m going to bring up the weight of the two main actors since this is why the show brings in audience at first (the comedy is the reason people stay). Mike & Molly are not TV’s typical couple. It use to be like the King of Queens or Still Standing or something where the TV wives were small and their husbands were larger. There was an odd ball dynamic. Now, we have two heavier actors paired together. And Mike and Molly are a big bigger than Dan and Roseanne in the 90’s TV show Roseanne. But Molly is simply adorable. Maybe it’s the dimples in her cheek or her genuine sparkle in her eyes. Of course, Melissa McCarthy is winning everyone over thanks to Mike & Molly, Bridesmaids and Saturday Night Live guest starring recently. I liked the actor who plays Mike when he was on Yes, Dear as a side character. But I think this show has great potential. The best episode was their first date—Molly + Cold Medicine + First Date = Priceless! I sincerely loved it! The nose hair, the Tomato soup…it was comic genius! Since then, the show has a few chuckles. Worth the 30 minutes.  

Tuesday
Biggest Loser: This show has been a strong focal point in my TV regiment. Tuesday nights were Biggest Loser nights when I was in college. The tradition meant a lot to me. But when sitting down by myself, I am not motivated to watch this show unless I’m at someone else’s house. So, I don’t DVR it. It’s at my step-mom’s or aunt’s houses.
Parenthood: A great show I’m glad they brought back. A great collaborative cast and drama. Not on DVR but it should be. I typically catch it after I watch Biggest Loser.
Glee: Haven’t watched any of this new season (was pretty religious to watch last season); it is on my DVR and my roommate has been caught up. Still a bit miffed that Sam is not apart of the show and not Mercedes’ love interest as told in the last minutes of last season’s finale.
New Girl: An interesting show. Zooey Deschenel is adorably goofy and geeky. The roommates need to hold up the show a bit better. Haven’t finished last week’s episode. MY roommate and I don’t think this show has the strength to stick around but there is something charming about it none the less. So, let’s hope this New Girl can hold her own. Tuesdays are my busy TV nights but I’ve been doing well not to delete it.
Sons of Anarchy: This show is so back and forth with me. I loved the first season and my addiction to it is steadily decreasing. I think the first season did well with the Hamlet-theme. Second season was strong in gun trafficking and dealing with the ATF. Third season, they were in Ireland most of the time trying to get back Jax’s son. Now…they’re drug mules? Danny Trejo is guest-starring as Romeo, a drug cartel leader who’s basically calling all of the shots. I love Danny Trejo because he is so one of my actors. This is on DVR and I’m up to date.

Wednesday
Suburgatory: Alright, this is a new one on TV and on my DVR. The pilot aired last week with mixed reviews from me. Initially, I started watching it because it sounded like one of my novels. But then, I realize it’s not much like it considering the girl lives with her dad (not estranged father), she’s in high school, they move out of the city because he found unopened box of condoms in her room, they move to the suburbs where it’s more Stepford wives and pink. So, it’s not really my novel (which originally was a TV show pitch). But it stars Jeremy Sisto and I’m eager to see him on a weekly basis…even if he is a dad of a high school teenager.
Harry’s Law: I recorded the first two episodes of the season just to see what it was like. I’ve since deleted this show from my schedule simply because I don’t have time for another continuous show. While I enjoy Kathy Bates, I feel I’m jumping into this show in mid-season, even though it is the first episode of the second season. I doubt I will invest much in this show because it is a continuous storyline rather than 60 minute stories and webbed drama.
Up All Night: not in my DVR but I’d recommend it. Reruns seem to air on Friday nights which is a plus. Will Arnett is a great comedic actor and pairing him with Christina Applegate and Maya Rudolf sounds like a good setup. Might want to start checking this one out more closely. Watched one episode so far.

Thursday
The Office: I’ve watched this show off and on throughout the years (and a few episodes of the original UK version). I have recently started to DVR this show in hopes of catching James Spader. The guy has me in stitches when he gives silent conversation looks at the camera. But I do believe he is not an on running character. And while I liked Steve Carrell’s character “Michael” as their boss, I absolutely love (drawing a blank on his name currently) Andy Bernard as the new manager. He has so much personality and heart that it is no wonder he was given the job! He stands up for his co-workers against the CEO, explaining that every single person there has a purpose and a skill. He lets them tattoo him because he wants to boost moral (but the truth is that they love him just as much because they tattoo him with a beloved nickname rather than a stupid joke). I think this show is doing just as well without Michael but it has not lost its spunk. However, the Jim and Pam characters are less of a focal point since their office relationship has reached marriage and family.
Whitney: Whitney Cummings is a standup comedian I found late one night on Comedy Central and found myself drawn to her straight-forward comedy approach. So, as with New Girl, has been on my DVR the second it was available. I’m up to date on this show but do not really know how it is going to go. I don’t see it being a long-running show that lasts because, let’s face it, the next step for Whitney is to marry her live-in boyfriend. I like the characters of Whitney and Adam but the others are dry. I feel like the friends who are dating are plastic, the cop is sleazy and the divorced one is dry like leftover turkey. I’m just not interested in the characters. Whitney is loud and opinionated and it’s interesting to see the dynamic but Whitney might have been better suited for standup than a whole 30 minutes a week in a sitcom about her.
How To Be A Gentleman: Started DVR’ing it for Dave Foley. Yep, you heard me right, Dave Foley. Kevin Dillon has my attention from Entourage but it’s pure first-look interest. The new guy is what is keeping me pulled in. I don’t know the actor and this is a new show. But his voice is very familiar of Dave Foley in the early years. It is higher pitched and squeaky. It plays very well. I am eager to see where he goes so I’ll be sticking around for a bit longer.
Big Bang Theory: Not much has changed over the past few seasons and it is always being on my DVR. Leonard’s girlfriend, Pria is finally in India and they webcam. Bernadette is engaged to Howard and totally sounding like his mother. Raj is finally getting some character development! Maybe they’ll bump the actor’s salary. I love Howard. And Penny is still the same girl she always is. But I also very much love Sheldon and Amy. Amy is a new dynamic that I am so glad they added!! She is Sheldon but with a bit of socialization desire. I love how she and Penny are besties.
Friday
Supernatural: Still glued to this show and obsessed with it on my DVR. Saw the first episode of the season and really not sure what is going to happen to my Castiel. This show should have stopped at season 4. But, I’m along for the ride.

Saturday
Doctor Who: I have a whole blog about this one and I’m sure I can post it here if anyone wants to read it. I am an avid Doctor Who fan. I’ve been in love with the show since 2005 when it first was recreated. But I have been exposed to it since before I was born, considering I was nearly named after a companion. But my Doctor will always be David Tennant. Matt Smith is starting to grow on me and I don’t think he’s done a bad job. Amy is also starting to grow on me as a companion but we’re talking only her second season am I actually giving into the idea. Her husband, Rory, is brilliant and has a bit of a Mickey (but without a K9 “Tin Dog” complex). Amy is not Rose. Rory is not cast aside like Mickey. With Russell T. Davies (and co) stepping down, I find Stephen Moffitt is not as great of a creator as Davies. But, Davies favored Rose. Moffitt is favoring Amy. And River Song. I am sick to death of River Song. The show is being DVR’d but I’m not glued to it. It seems that my weekends are catch up for Doctor Who and Supernatural episodes. I watch them in bulk rather than one every week. I’m 2-3 episodes behind on Doctor Who.  
The day I catch up on watching everything on my DVR…as you can tell, I’ve actually been too busy to catch myself up on shows. So, maybe after work I’ll be able to clean up a little more in the list of DVR programs that are currently set up.

Sunday
The Good Wife: I love that Will and Alicia are together! The drama is backpeddling their storyline a bit but that’s all I’m interested in. And now that I’ve got it, I’m not sure that it was the right thing. Will has some serious character flaws and Alicia has a lot of baggage at the moment. Worth a little more looking.
Drop Dead Diva: Did this show hit its season finale? I have yet to finish the latest episode and don’t believe I saw it was recorded this past Sunday. Either way, this show has some amount of charisma.

What else?
Boardwalk Empire: I have 12 episodes saved on my DVR. I’m assuming this is the first season. I eagerly want to watch this show but have yet to find the time. Steve Buscemi + Prohibition = highly intriguing! Two of my favorite subjects.
Sports: Blackhawk hockey will be joining my DVR family soon enough. I’m trying to weed out the Illini football games. The Cardinals baseball is a growing interest but will not last much longer for the season. I’m not much of a sport fan. But it depends on who is at my house. A sports fan has been visiting frequently on the weekends and knows where the Directv app is on my phone.
Leverage: I cannot wait for this show to come back in November!
Law & Order: Watched on reruns on TNT. Law & Order: SVU is equally as good in reruns. Haven’t had a chance to catch the new season (sans Stabler).
Bad Girls Club: haven’t watched any of this new season in New Orleans. That’s the roommate’s vice.
Kids in the Hall: Death Comes to Town: I have this entire mini-series on my DVR. I refuse to delete it. I really need to buy it on DVD. It is the only Kith media that I do not physically own. Thank goodness that it was on IFC. Otherwise...I may have had to order HBO or whatever channel just to have it! I'm a diehard Kithaholic!

No comments:

Post a Comment