Sunday, January 8, 2012

The Replacements (2000)

I just randomly re-stumbled upon this scene about 5 minutes ago and figured it'd be great to discuss.
I don't enjoy watching football. But movies about football? I seem to like those.
My favorite? The Replacements starring Keanu Reeves, Rhys Ives, Orland Jones, Gene Hackman, Jon Favreau...
Favorite scene? When they bond in the jail and start singing and dancing to I Will Survive: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpCZzycMhPk

The movie revolves around a football team when the players go on strike mid-season. In order to keep in the running, a group of replacement players are hired. The guys are all collections of failed athletes. For instance, Keanu Reeves' character is a guy who could have gone on to professional football but choked with the pressure. Another two guys are security/bouncers. The kicker (Rhys) is actually a gambling addict who plays soccer--not football. Add in a cop, a prisoner and a great mix of guys and you've got some drama. Of course, there's a love interest and struggles against the NFL and the like. Good enough movie. 6/10.

*sidebar: There should be a good amount of upcoming posts since I'm watching more movies lately and Netflix seems to have posted some of my absolute favorite films on instant. Oh and my fancy new bluray player :D

No comments:

Post a Comment